Changing how we "see" the world by understanding "touch"
Welcome to NTU Touch lab
We are looking for a graduate student and postdoctoral fellow
NTU touch lab is seeking a graduate student and postdocs who is interested in psychophysics, simulation, neuroimaging, and brain stimulation.
We are conducting conduct a variety of studies that are ranged from touch to social cognition.
(1) graduate student
There are several (competitive) scholarships available.
(2) postdoctoral fellow
There is competitive fellowship available at NTU
Papers in press or published in 2019-2020
* indicates the corresponding author
Ito K*, Chew Wei O, Kitada R* (2019) Emotional Tears Communicate Sadness But Not Excessive Emotions Without Other Contextual Knowledge. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 878
Okamoto Y*, Kitada R, Seki A, Yanaka H; Kochiyama T; Koeda T (accepted) Differences between children and adults in functional connectivity between the inferior frontal gyrus and extrastriate body area for gestural interaction. Social Neuroscience
Okamoto Y*, Kitada R, Kochiyama T, Naruse H, Makita K, Miyahara M, Okazawa H and Kosaka H* (accepted) Visual Body Part Representation in the Lateral Occipitotemporal Cortex in Children/Adolescents and Adults. Cerebral Cortex Communications
Papers under review or in preparation
1. Kitada R, Kwon J, Doizaki R, Nakagawa E, Tanigawa T, Kochiyama T, Kajimoto H, Sakamoto M, Sadato N (in preparation) Brain networks underlying interaction between tactile softness perception and associated word expression.
2. Kitada, R., Yoshihara K, Sasaki AT, Kochiyama T and Sadato N (in preparation) Supramodal and vision-dependent functional connectivity patterns in the extrastriate body area.
3. Kitada R, Kawamichi H, Hamano Y, Nakagawa E, Saito R, Kochiyama T, Sadato N (in preparation) Brain networks underlying social interaction via touch.
And more !
Conference Presentation in 2017-2019
1. Pasqualotto A**, Ng MHS**, Kitada R (2019 July 11th) Tactile perception of pleasantness in relation to perceived softness. IEEE World Haptics Conference (Tokyo, Japan).
2. Kitada R (2018 July 28th) The role of the extrastriate body area in social cognition: from body recognition to contingency detection The Annual meeting at the Japan Neuroscience Society (Kobe, Japan).
3. Kitada R (2018 June 19th) The effect of congenital blindness on body-sensitivity in the lateral occipito-temporal cortex. The Annual meeting of Human Brain Mapping 2018 (Singapore).
4. Kitada R, Doizaki R, Kwon J, Nakagawa E, Kajimoto H, Sakamoto M, Sadato N (2018 June 19th-21st) Brain network underlying tactile estimation of object stiffness - an fMRI study. The Annual meeting of Human Brain Mapping 2018 (Singapore).
5. Yoshimoto T, Chikazoe J, Okazaki S, Sumiya M, Takahashi H.K., Nakagawa E, Koike T, Kitada R, Okamoto S, Nakata M, Kosaka H, Yada T, Sadato N (2017 November 4th) Abstractness of value representation in orbitofrontal cortex. Society for Neuroscience 2017 (Washington,D.C., USA).
6. Suvilehto JT, Kitada R, Dunbar RIM, Turner R, Sadato N, Nummenmaa L Cultural Universalism in Social Touch. (2017 September 3rd) Poster and Data Blitz talk at 2nd Congress of the International Association for the Study of Affective Touch. Liverpool, UK.
Missions and Goals
Finding something solid, but new, different and exciting
Aiming to hit between the eyes of others.
Connecting scientific findings with applications
Linking the findings in cognitive neuroscience and experimental psychology with things that can help society
Training our skills and mind through cutting-edge researches
Through working on cutting-edge researches together, we learn not only skills of cognitive neuroscience, but also way of thinking.
How Touch works? (Touch and its relation with other senses)
Cognitive and Social neuroscience
Nanyang Associate Professor
I am a cognitive neuroscientist who has been fascinated by many questions on mind and brain, such as how our mind and brain work, how they develop and how they become atypical.
I completed my PhD in Neuroscience at Kyoto University (under the supervision of late Prof. Michikazu Matsumura) and then worked as a postdoctoral fellow and research associate under supervision of Dr. Susan J. Lederman. After spending 9 years at an assistant professor at National Institute for Physiological Sciences (NIPS) Japan, I started this lab from January 2017.
Hicret Atilgan (Ph.D student)
Tan Zheng Yee (Project Officer)
Wong Li Shan (URECA-FYP student)
Megan Ng (URECA-FYP student)
Ern Wong (URECA-FYP student)
Leong Utek (FYP student)
Achille Pasqualotto (Assoc Prof, University of Nottingham, Malaysia)
URECA/FYP students 2019-2020
Janice Koi (URECA-FYP student)
Ching Siaw Ting Christine (FYP student)
Lin Youneng (FYP student)
Wong Li Shan (URECA student)
URECA/FYP students 2018-2019
Ng Hui Si Megan
Janice Koi Jue Xin
URECA/FYP students 2017-2018
Chai Jia Yin Cindy
Lu Hui Ying
Lek Zhi Wei
Teo Juat Yi Freda
Articles (English only)
*indicates the corresponding author
Review, Book Chapter and Conference Papers (English only)